Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Project Proposal

Ayşegül DOĞAN

Project: Short film
Name: Not defined yet.

The Description of the Project:
My short film will be mainly a representation of Lumiere Brothers’ first public film screening in Grand Cafe Paris. This particular event is important for me because it was the first time Lumiere Brothers showed a movie with their invention Cinematographe. This was actualy the birth of the cinema, we all know today. Another important point is I always found the reaction of the people funny towards this invention. Because when Lumiere brothers showed the 10 short films the audience, one of the short films which is about the train (coming closer)made the audience scared. “Their film sequence of a train pulling into the station reportedly had audiences screaming and ducking for cover as they believed that the train itself was about to plow into the theater.”*

The movie begins in a small theatre, Lumiere brothers present the “cinema” and the movie begins. All the audience (dressed acoordingly 1895) gets very surprised and curios about this invention. As the train comes closer, they got scared and as the train in the film gets closer, they start to run away from their seats. Then Lumiere Brothers tell that it is only a moving picture, they all laugh.

What I need for the project; the film of Lumiere Brothers borrowed from the Mithat Alam Film Center, arranging the Mithat Alam Film Center for shooting, lending the costumes of 1900s from a convenient shop, my classmates as actors on shooting day.

I will edit the movie black&white so it will reflect the old times. I will try to use some effects for the visuals to look old. I will use middle title between the scenes just like the old films.

It will be a film inside film so I will need to edit both films.
It will be a combination of documentary and fiction films, although they always compared.Because what Lumiere brothers did was to shoot the nature or events in natural courses without editing or interference. Hence, their style was considered as documentary.

It will be performance also since we actually animating a scene, representing and documenting the event. I will not record an event as it is, but I will prepare the set, costumes and events so it will be a fiction like a doctor sets an lab experiment. Then I will shoot the scenes and edit them. I will turn a documentary to a fiction film.
My purpose is to show what kind of an experience the invention of cinema was.
I will need extra tricks to put the audience of today to the audience of 1900s. I thought that maybe I could use some small posters expressing “Forget what cinema is” or “Consider that you have no idea of what a movie is” to the entrance of Mithat Alam Film Center. Although I will explain the situation with middle titles in the film but I think I might use the help of the posters too.

Bibliography:
1- http://holonet.khm.de/visual_alchemy/lumiere.html
2-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auguste_and_Louis_Lumi%C3%A8re
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Lumiere Brothers; can we find 2 people and dress them like this for shooting?
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
The world’s first movie poster.

1 comment:

selen said...

aysegul, i talked to ayca and she told me about a store in eminonu called "gardrop." there u can hire clothes and they have a range of pieces from different time periods. we can go there together next week.

bayaa iyi olcak...